"My passion is to provide encouragement, insight and biblical guidance during times of crisis, change, personal and family difficulties. That is what pastoral counseling is. My goal as your pastoral counselor is to help you resolve the challenges you are having. I will listen, clarify, and offer hope, encouragement, prayer and sound biblical advice." ~ Kimberly
What is Pastoral Counseling? A pastoral counselor provides encouragement and insight during times of crisis and change through biblical guidance; helps resolve challenges; and guides in finding truth and freedom in Christ.
Christian recovery means God and His Word is center. Healing and recovery isn’t about religion. It is about coming to know the real God. The triune God: (God the Father, Jesus Christ the Son, and the Holy Spirit) is the only one who redeems lives. And the Holy Bible, or Scripture, is the only able source for faith and healing.
Pastoral counseling is not mental health care and should not be substituted for professional clinical therapy, especially if you are already under the care of a professional counselor or psychiatrist.
I have a Masters degree in Pastoral Care to Women from Western Seminary, and am a Board Certified Biblical Counselor through the American Association of Christian Counselors. I consider myself well trained to address many situations and life challenges, but there are some counseling situations that are beyond my training. When this is the case, professional counseling will be recommended.
I believe many (not all) emotional and biological issues are spiritually rooted, and a result of separation on three levels:
- Separation from God, His Word, and His love: due to a distorted concept of God.
- Separation from ourselves: due to struggle with self-hatred, shame, low self-worth, fear, and guilt.
- Separation from others: due to a struggle with wounds of abuse, anger, fear, unforgiveness, and hate.
Overall well-being and health begins with discovering a true knowledge of God, followed by the knowledge of who we are as His children in Christ. The beginning of all healing begins when we begin to remove the separations: make peace with God and accept His love permanently; and accept ourselves and others. This requires:
- Coming back in alignment and into relationship with God the Person, and His holy Word. We must come to know the character of God and trust His Word to experience healing.
- Accepting yourself as the person God created you to be. This means committing to work to get rid of toxic emotions such as self-hatred, fear, shame, guilt, anger, bitterness, unforgiveness; and aligning yourself with God’s perfect will for your life. (see Romans 12:2)
- The Bible says, “Examine me, O God, and know my mind. Test me, and know my thoughts. See whether I am on the wrong path. Then lead me on the everlasting path” (Psalm 139:23-24). Change starts with you and is empowered by the work of the Holy Spirit.
- Pastoral counseling is generally brief compared to therapeutic counseling. I will provide a brief evaluation after our first session, and if we continue I will provide a thorough evaluation in approximately 4 weeks. If I am not able to guide you in this time frame most likely I will refer you to a professional counselor. You are free to leave at any time.
- All sessions are confidential and privileged. Breach of confidentiality will only happen if I have “reasonable suspicion” that a human life is in danger: suicide and homicide ideation, and child (under 18 years) or elder (over age 65) abuse. Please tell me if you have any suicidal thoughts.
- I am here voluntarily and do not charge for sessions which are conducted in my hometown of Molalla. If I come to you, or meet you half way, I charge according to distance.
- We will define a practical meeting schedule. You are required to make a commitment. Repeated cancellations will result in termination of counseling.
- I generally give homework because there is power in it: it strengthens your commitment to take responsibility for your own growth and enables you to develop dependency on God. It also enables you to experience spiritual growth on a daily basis.
I welcome the opportunity to minister to you in the name of Jesus Christ and to be used by Him as He helps you to heal and grow in spiritual maturity, and prepares you for usefulness in His kingdom. Never forget that God is still in control. He still answers. He still talks to His children and gives them knowledge and understanding. His ears still hear our cries. And He is looking for those who seek after Him so He may show Himself strong. Forget the past. Forget the future. Let God be God today in your life.
Masters of Art: Specialized Ministry (Pastoral Care to Women), Western
Seminary, Portland, Oregon (2009); Bachelors of Art, (emphasis on Health
Sciences, Food and Nutrition) University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa (1978); Board Certified Biblical Counselor (2011)
of Course Completion:
Life Coaching 101: American Association of Christian Counselors
2009: Professional Life Coaching 201: American Association of Christian
& Life Experience:
Licensure: Minister's License, Church of the Nazarene, 2005 to
Instructor: Western Seminary, Women in Pain: Eating Disorders, 2006,
Work History: 20 years sales & marketing manager, Health industry; 5 years marketing
manager, high-tech industry
Ongoing Seminars & Conferences